Under the direction of the Director of Buildings and Director of Operations, the Porter is responsible for the overall maintenance and care of the grounds, parking areas and common area facilities of the property to always maintain a standard of a clean and orderly environment. Above all, the spirit of teamwork and cooperation with other team members will not only improve the job performance, but also enhance the entire work experience
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Daily cleaning of all common areas including but not limited to the offices, multi-purpose/ community room, elevators, elevator lobbies, laundry rooms, hallways, and lobby.
- Sweep all assigned areas, stairways, halls, laundry room, offices, building entrances and common areas.
- Wet mop and vacuum all public areas stairways, hallways, laundry room, offices, building entrances and common areas. Always post safety/caution warnings such as: Slippery When Wet
- Empty garbage containers in all common areas.
- Dust all furniture and fixtures in the common areas.
- Report all notable concerns such as vandalism, missing light bulbs or fixtures, missing smoke detectors or extinguishers in the common areas to the Maintenance Supervisor.
- Keep the property, trash receptacle areas, hallways, common areas, garages and/or parking lots, in a neat and orderly manner preventing trash or debris from accumulatingmonitoring at the beginning of the morning shift and continually throughout the day for trash and debris. Depending upon the property, it may be required to vacuum and/or blow clear hallways, parking areas and/or breezeways two or three times a week as needed.
- Assist or perform all work associated with the maintenance of the building at the direction of the Superintendent/Director of Operations.
- Ability to work independently on tasks/work assignments.
- Able to operate basic tools and equipment (snake/plunger, hammer etc.) needed to address minor unit conditions (unclog toilet, hang a bulletin board, change a light bulb, etc.)
- Minimum high school education or equivalent.
- Experience in full-time housekeeper/custodial or gardening/grounds keeping position. Experience in related field and/or willingness to learn.
- Effective communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work well with other personnel as well as comprehend and troubleshoot residents maintenance-related issues.
- Physical aspects of the job may require heavy lifting, bending, kneeling, stooping, climbing, balancing, and carrying.
- Adherence to work-safety and risk management programs.
- Professional and reliable.
- Ability to maintain a flexible schedule including some weekends & holidays if needed.
EXPERIENCE: Three (3) to Five (5) years of Porter Experience.
EDUCATION: HS Diploma or GED Equivalent
OTHER REQUIREMENTS: OSHA Certification
- Physically lift 100 lbs.
- Endurance and ability to visit entire job site, including stairs or other elevated structures.
- Communicate using the following tools: telephone, fax machine, written logs, email, computer, cell phone.
- Monitoring jobsite general health and safety.
- Customer Service Manage difficult or emotional client situations; responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments.
- Employee must be proficient in written and oral English; written and oral Spanish proficiency is preferred.
- Adaptability Adapts to changes in work site changes to address staff shortages/needs at other BPHN locations.
AGENCY EXPECTATIONS OF ALL EMPLOYEES
Adheres to Bronx Parents Policies and Procedures. Acts as a role model within and outside the agency. Performs duties as workload necessitates. Attendance and Dependability: the employee can be depended on to report to work at the scheduled time and is seldom absent from work. Employee can be depended upon to complete work in a timely, accurate, and thorough manner and is conscientious about assignments. Communication and Contact: the employee communicates both verbally and in writing with superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside BPHN. Relationships with others: the employee works and communicates effectively and relates well with others including superiors, colleagues, and individuals inside and outside BPHN. The employee exhibits a professional manner in dealing with others and works to maintain constructive working relationships. Employee adheres to mission statement and guiding principles.
JOB DESCRIPTION REVIEW
I have read and understand this job description and its requirements, and I understand that I am expected to complete all duties as assigned. I understand that the job functions may be changed from time to time, with or without prior notice. I will be able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without accommodation. I understand that it is my responsibility to inform my supervisor at any time that Im unable to perform these functions. I understand that I will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions and assignments.